The best picnic spots in Central Park

The idea of F. L. Olmsted to turn a stony and marshy area into a pastoral landscape with hills, farmers ' houses, fields, lakes, and picturesque greenery of gardens was
recognized by the authorities.
Olmsted and Waugh began to receive regular invitations to other States of America to improve the landscape there. Another ingenious solution by Waugh and Olmsted was the design of pedestrian paths over car lanes, so that motorists can freely pass through the Park without disturbing pedestrians.
Central Park has earned a somewhat dubious reputation: it is sometimes considered a place where thieves and drug addicts congregate. In fact, crime in the Park area is much lower than in other areas of the city. The borough of Manhattan-where the Park is located, is considered one of the most respectable areas of new York, while there is a very high level of security. But you should be careful — it never hurts anywhere. Hundreds of policemen who are on duty in the Park every day have become an integral part of it. In summer, the number of people walking is close to several thousand. In winter, there are fewer people, but there are still a lot of skiers or those who like to sledge.

Most of those who visit the Park are family people. At any time of the year, the South of the Park is a great place to spend time with your family. Here you can play basketball, badminton, roller skating, kite flying, recreational running (the latter is very good to do on the lake "Reservoir"), and so on.for fans of picnics and concerts, the "Sheep pasture"is perfect. Also, for those who like a quiet holiday in nature, you can recommend the "Big lawn". Boats and bicycles can be rented at the Park (Loeb Boathouse provides rental services). Fans of u's work. Shakespeare must visit the Delacorte theater, where performances are completely free of charge. Not far from the theater is a beautiful Shakespeare garden. It is formed by plants mentioned in the works of the great playwright.
The Park's landscape designers, Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux, are credited with creating three independent traffic patterns for pedestrians, bicyclists, and horse-drawn carriages that still take tourists around the Park. For some reason, it is believed that a carriage ride through Central Park is a mandatory item of the program with the conditional name "Until you play in the box", along with riding on a Venetian gondola and an African Safari. I don't share such sentiments. In my opinion, it is a hundred times more romantic to take a boat ride on the lake with the simple name of The Lake, or to have a picnic among the cedars on Cedar Hill, or to walk through the wild but pretty "more often" called the Ramble.
The North of the Park with its picturesque gardens and reservoirs is a quieter place, perfect for older people who love peace and quiet.

Americans like to organize picnics: they even have special grills next to playgrounds in small cities. And it would be a sin not to make a picnic spot in new York's Central Park! Finding the lawns described below, you can be sure that the picnic was a success.

Sheep meadow
Designed by Frederick law Olmsted as the largest, open and truly special meadow for Central Park. Its original appearance was intended as a meadow for sheep that grazed on it until 1930, from where they were soon taken to prospect Park. The design competition held at that time was a prerequisite for the following-an open space with a parade ground for a military exhibition. Winning project

Olmsted and VOX's "Greensward" proposed a reduced parade ground located to the West side of the proposed Park. To produce nearly thirty acres of "flat or slightly undulating land" in the specifications, ten acres of poorly drained land were filled to a depth of two feet, destructive boulders and a Rocky ridge that stood sixteen feet from the finished snowdrift were torn out by explosions, and the reshaped landscape was covered with topsoil. [Rosenzweig and Blackmar 1992: 165] few sunbathers today are aware of the efforts that created this "natural" grassy area.

Elements of the sheepfold, designed, like all structures in the Park, by the English architect Calvert Waugh, can still be recognized in the significantly enlarged, elaborated and updated form of the Tavern on Green street.
The Central Park nature conservancy took over the sheep's bow by the end of its restoration in 1981, and it also installed a new irrigation system in 2001.

And as agreed by the partnership between the nature conservancy and new York, the meadow will remain bordered by trees and shrubs, a green lawn, surrounded by rivers and streams, however, as it was intended from the very beginning. He was the first of the restored onion.
Like all landscapes in Central Park, Sheep meadow is a fully man-made preserve, covering 62,000 square meters, located on the West side of Central Park from 66th to 69th streets in Manhattan. From April to mid-October, the meadow is open to the public, with good weather, from dawn to dusk. In winter, it is closed.

On warm days, it's hard to think of a better place in Manhattan than Sheep Meadow. This is a crowded place, with up to 30,000 visitors at noon. Become one of them in order to enjoy the space and beauty of the Park.

Great Hill
The big lawn is an open area of the Central Park near the reservoir, planted with lawn, its area is more than 22 hectares. This is a favorite place for recreation and picnics among new Yorkers.

Initially, the lawn had a rectangular shape, but this was dissatisfied with the creators of the Park-Friedrich Olmsted and Calvert VOX. In their opinion, this did not correspond to the naturalness of the landscape. At the same time, it was decided to partially plant the lawn with trees, which later gave it an irregular shape.

In 1931, the reservoir was drained, after which the Park administration was hit with a lot of proposals on how to use the freed space. During the great Depression, the area was home to displaced residents and surplus supplies and materials left over from the construction of the metro line and Rockefeller center.

As a result, a Large lawn was opened in 1937, and a baseball field was added in 1950. In 1997, a large-scale restoration of the territory of the Large lawn was carried out.
On October 7, 1995, Pope John Paul II celebrated mass here, which was attended by 125 thousand people. In the same year, thanks to extensive restoration efforts from the Central Park conservancy, the large lawn was once again lush, as it has never been since.

A large lawn is one of the most noticeable places in the Park and it is a huge green field. In good weather, it is full of visitors who have decided to spend their leisure time with a picnic, a game of basketball or baseball, and for this purpose the lawn is equipped with special playgrounds. Nearby is the Belvedere Castle, built more than 100 years ago, and its surroundings are decorated with an amazing pond with turtles.

A masterpiece of Park architecture - "Big lawn" was made in 1931, on the site of the old reservoir. It contains eight fields for softball, basketball, and other sports. The Grand lawn hosts free musical performances and street concerts by the new York Philharmonic and the Metropolitan Opera.

At one time, this tavern was the most prestigious restaurant in the Park. The establishment went bankrupt, and now since 2009 there is a visitor Center.

Cedar hill
Cedar Hill in Central Park is the Eastern slope used for reading and sunbathing, sledding in winter and the best place for dog owners. The name Cedar Hill comes from the red cedars at its top, but several other varieties of evergreens also dot the hill.

The hill is indeed home to many red cedars that form a line of clumps on its top. The rock outcrops on the sloping Turf were furrowed from the last ice age. The southern slope is named by runners "cat hill" for its statue, "still hunting", of a large prowling cat.

Cedar Hill is a classic pastoral landscape offering sleigh rides in winter and picnics in the warmer months. It takes its name from a stand of evergreens dotting the crest of the hill. On the southern border is the glade arch, a beautiful stone arch that originally supported traffic on Fifth Avenue.